ISTRUZIONI DOPO UN’ INTERVENTO DENTALE
Post-Surgical Procedure Instructions
- Avoid brushing and chewing on the surgically processed area
- Maintain regular hygiene routine for the rest of the teeth
- No rinsing during 24 hour post procedure
- 24 hour – 2 weeks post procedure rinse with a CHX-based solution (chlorhexidine) 2-3 x /day
- Take the first painkiller 30 min post procedure
- Pain can occur around the treated area couple of days after the procedure and it can be reduced with prescribed painkillers
- Don’t take Aspirin other drugs containing acetylsalicylic acid for they can cause bleeding in the area
- Light bleeding after the procedure is perfectly normal
- Post procedure received surgical cloth keep bite-pressed on the treated area for 30 minutes minimum
- If heavier bleeding occurs, remove the cloth and replace it with a new, sterile one, keep it bite-pressed and avoid mouth rinsing
- A small swelling can occur post procedure
- Couple of hours after the procedure, apply ice on the outer side of the treated area (hold for 10 min, pause for 5 min and repeat if needed)
Rules of conduct after implant placement
4 days after the treatment try to avoid hot/warm beverages and food and stick to liquid (straw-eating) and softer foods. Avoid physical activity and sun exposure 48-72 hours post procedure.
A painkiller pill should be taken before the release of anaesthesia effect. The patient can take up to 6 x 400 mg ibuprofen pills per day. Moderate pain is completely natural and it’s expected to last 3-5 days, but in the unlikely case of high-intensity pain please contact us immediately on +385 (1) 46 77 073 or mobile phone number +385 (0)91 1278 402
Lighter bleeding is normal 1-2 days post-surgical procedure. Avoid mouth rinsing and in case of heavier bleeding apply pressure with a sterile cloth for 30 minutes.
Swelling normally occurs in the first few days after the procedure (Second and Third day are usually the worst). In order to reduce it, apply ice to your cheek in 10 minute intervals ( 10 min cooling, 10 min pause). For the first few days, keep your head elevated, especially while lying down. The prescribed ibuprofen can also help with reducing the swollen area. If the swelling persists after the third day or if it gets worse, contact us immediately on +385 (1) 46 77 073 or mobile phone +385 (91) 1278402
Patients are advised to maintain a high-standard oral hygiene because of its crucial role in proper healing and procedure success. Clean the food remnants from the treated area with a cotton swab previously dipped into a CHX (chlorhexidine) solution. Non-treated teeth can be brushed normally.
24 hours post procedure, rinse your mouth 2 x daily with the aforementioned CHX solution. After every meal, use lukewarm water, salty water or lukewarm chamomile tea to rinse. Brush your teeth normally. If the implants are healing with an open wound, clean them with a CHX solution dipped cotton swab. After a 2-week period, the implants can be brushed with a soft toothbrush and tooth floss. If the area remains painful, keep on using the cotton swab. With closed – wound implant healing, keep the gums and stitches clean with the cotton swab and shortly after, start using the soft toothbrush. Avoid going over the implant surface with your tongue – the force you’re using could create damage.
Implants need 2-5 months to completely osseointegrate (fuse with the bone). It’s extremely important NOT to chew with them during that period.
Heavy physical activity, fitness, sauna and sun exposure should be avoided for 1 week.
Important notice post implant procedure in the Lower Jaw
In the unlikely event of non-reduced lower lip/ chin numbness or high-intensity pain 5-6 hours after the procedure, contact us immediately. In some cases, dental implants may need to be unscrewed 1-2 mm.
Post Root Canal Treatment Instructions
- No food consumption until anaesthesia effect wears off
- When anaesthesia slowly starts wearing off, the patient is advised to take an ibuprofen ( approximately 30 min post procedure)
- Avoid spicy and hot food & beverages
- After every meal, rinse your mouth with lukewarm water, chamomile tea or salty water.
- Cigarettes are not recommended 1-2 days after the procedure.
- Maintain careful and high-standard oral hygiene, especially for the first 2 weeks after the procedure
- First night post procedure, the teeth and gums are usually very sensitive so make sure to clean them with a cotton swab dipped in a 0.12% CHX (chlorhexidine) solution and rinse for 1 minute. After the sensitivity relents, start using a soft toothbrush and tooth floss.
IMPORTANT: There should be at least a 30 min break in between teeth brushing and mouth rinsing with the CHX solution
Teeth hyper-sensitivity to thermic, mechanical and chemical stimulus is a perfectly normal occurrence. Periodontitis causes gum infection and swelling and root canal treatment reduces it while leaving the root and neck of the tooth exposed. This is the reason why the heightened sensitivity occurs and lasts for couple of weeks after the treatment.